POP your heart out.



Book Talk 13: The Curious Incident...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The novel: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time-Mark Haddon
The song: The Boy Least Likely To-I See Spiders When I Close My Eyes

While this novel started off riveting, with an unusual situation and an autistic character with an oversimplified idea of life and the objects around him, unable to understand expressions and facial expressions. He does, hoever, have an uncanny ability to turn anything and everything into math and logic problems--in which case he's a total genius. While this set-up and explainations of everything around him made the novel and the characters emotionally charged at the start, as the story progressed and the mystery solved--with a too perdictable murderer, although I suppose it was never meant to be a mystery to start with--this repetition of math probloems and explainations, and even the character's actions feel robotic.

Reading becomes frustrating, and it gets to the point where I want to skip over sections...which doesn't help, as nothing much happens, and anything that does seems an echo of an event before. It becomes something like a game: I'm scared of people! I have a switchblade! I'm going to make mental maps with patterns and things to keep myself calm! I'm going to Live With Mother (yes, with capital letters and all)! My Father sucks because he lied to me about the perdictable situation with mother! I'm so depressed because I'm in a nwe place! Someone please stop making me so damned perdictable and end this freaking novel!

I guess it goes to show that any book that has the words "poignant" and "literary" stapled together on the inside cover is not going to be my kind of book...or maybe, once again, I'm an emotionless robot who will never understand the true meaning of literary fiction. Oh, the horror.

I do, however, adore The Boy Least Likely To, and the innocent, naive, child-like guitars and keyboards, the dark, adult like undertone of the real world--and this fear of everything, this panic about the specks in the air and the echoing verses, the little details that makes this song so adorable and fitting for the novel.

|

info

About
I like it when you talk to me
Listen, love, buy.
MP3s don't last forever.

songs + words

Subscribe with Bloglines